Can I work as a freelancer while being a full time funded international PhD student in the US?

When you are on the F1 visa, you cannot seek employment for the first academic year unless it is an “on campus job”. There are certain kinds of on campus jobs that you can apply for.

It is illegal for anyone with an F1 status to be employed otherwise, unless it is in the curriculum. So if your university recommends that you get some industrial experience then you need to do exactly that. There are certain types of employers that you can seek employment under and they need to provide with a proper statement of what ever work it is that you have fulfilled. There should be some credits allocated by your institute for it or it should be something that is towards the completion of your degree.

More Info here->
Students and Employment

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *