As a leader of Odesk and Elance development team I woud have to disagree with claims that there is a problem hiring a good team on freelance job portals.
My main suggestions are:
– Look for the team that doesn’t float on tech terms as that is easy and copy paste job suggestion
– Do interview with more then 1 team
– Pick the team willing to prove themselves
– Look for the team that writes unique and honest proposal (no generic stuff)
– Make sure you provide proper documentation / input on the job details
– Do not pick teams that say “We can do anything” before they even know what your job is about.
– Make sure team understands the task before they begin working on it
– Make sure you get support for 2 months after job is done
– Make sure team you are about to work with has dedicated account manager
– Check if the team can speak english or your local language fluently
– All jobs should be set in stages infront of freelancers in order to be able to track progress
– Pay in milestones according to stages.