As a leader of Odesk and Elance development team I woud have to disagree with claims that there is a problem hiring a good team on freelance job portals.
My main suggestions are:
- Look for the team that doesn't float on tech terms as that is easy and copy paste job suggestion
- Do interview with more then 1 team
- Pick the team willing to prove themselves
- Look for the team that writes unique and honest proposal (no generic stuff)
- Make sure you provide proper documentation / input on the job details
- Do not pick teams that say "We can do anything" before they even know what your job is about.
- Make sure team understands the task before they begin working on it
- Make sure you get support for 2 months after job is done
- Make sure team you are about to work with has dedicated account manager
- Check if the team can speak english or your local language fluently
- All jobs should be set in stages infront of freelancers in order to be able to track progress
- Pay in milestones according to stages.