- Create a freelancer CV
- Get your CV out there on the contractor platforms (avoid Upwork since this is just for cheap labor)
- Create a great LinkedIn profile (and maybe XING if you are located in Europe)
- Connect to recruiters (Hays, etc.) and register in their DBs
- Actively search for projects on the contractor platforms
- Write good proposals for open projects
With this approach it took me 2 months of search to land my first 6-month contract. Since then I updated everything (profiles, databases, searches) regularly and have not searched for a new project for more than 4 weeks.