I’m Ukrainian moving to the US for a university. I was thinking of working freelance (as an artist). Is that legal? If not, can I work freelance for Ukrainian clients while living in the US?

… Check what visa you are on. My student visa (F1) only allowed for me to work 20hours or less a week, and only on school campus. And yes, I went to the USA for an exchange/study abroad program.

It may be different for you, but if your visa is like mine, it is not legal for you to draw a salary unless you are in paid employment on campus, for 20hours a week or less. If off campus, or more than that, student visa terms have been violated, and it could lead to deportation.

And nobody wants that.

So, look at the US embassy website Nonimmigrant Visas | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in the United Kingdom

Here’s a good place to start. This may be specific to where I live, so Check out your specific country’s us embassy page

Nonimmigrant Visas | U.S. Embassy in Ukraine

This one I think is specific to Ukraine…

Good luck on your study abroad program, if you decide to go ahead with it!

As to the second question, if you live in the USA while not attending university, you would be on a different visa, probably a work visa. I would imagine that you would be allowed to do whatever work you liked, provided of course that you got into the country. If you are asking whether you can attend uni while only working for other Ukrainians in the USA, the student visa rules would still apply.

TLDR- check with your embassy under what visa you require, because it will tell you the answer to this question. If you live in the USA, you have to obey the terms of your visa, or you won’t be allowed back in. And have fun over there!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *