The History of Eos
Main Events of the Ancient Calendar Era (A.E.)
Ancient Times/Age of Myth
The ancient civilization of Solheim prospers through machine technology such as airships and magitek armor. The Astrals, also known as the Six, reside in the world.
Ifrit, an Astral, despises humanity and betrays the Six, resulting in a conflict known as the Astral War/Great War of Old. Ultimately this leads to the fall of Solheim.
Two individuals are chosen by the Astrals to lead mankind to survival: the first Oracle, a woman of the Fleuret family; and a King, a man of the Lucis Caelum family.
The Astrals bless these two individuals with gifts to fulfill their duties. The Oracle, tasked with being the voice of the people to the gods, is given the ability to understand the Astrals’ unique language and the power to heal the afflicted. The Astral Bahamut also bestows upon her his sacred trident. The King is given political authority and the ability to summon a collection of glaives.
Approximately 2000 Years Ago
The spreading of a disease called the Starscourge, a mysterious parasite that turns mankind and beasts into daemons, causes the death of millions.
At some unknown time, The Crystal, a divine stone that serves as the heart of Eos, comes from the planet. Its light holds the power to banish the Starscourge.
Ardyn Lucis Caelum, a healer residing in Lucis, cures those afflicted with the Starscourge by absorbing the disease into himself. He is hailed as the King of Light who will banish the Starscourge. However, the darkness in his body causes him to become immortal.
Despite being hailed as a savior, Ardyn is eventually demonized to the eyes of the world by the reigning King at the time.
The Kingdom of Lucis is established. The Astrals forge the Ring of the Lucii and give it to the King of Lucis along with the Crystal. The Ring serves as the King’s connection to the Crystal and can be used to conjure forbidden magic. The Lucis Caelum family is commanded by the gods to protect the Crystal.
The plague is suppressed through the efforts of the King of Lucis.
The Crystal views Ardyn as unclean due to the darkness residing in his body. Bahamut receives a revelation of the future and proclaims Ardyn as the immortal “Accursed.”
Bahamut’s revelation tells that one day the fate of the world will fall to the True King, whose providence is ordained in the light of the Crystal. During the prophesied hour, the Crystal will shed the entirety of its light unto the Ring of the Lucii, which enables the True King to fulfill his calling of banishing the darkness. Only then can the Accursed be defeated and the light restored to the world. The cost of this will be the True King’s life.
Until the day the True King is ordained, the Astrals slumber, conserving their strength, waiting to awaken upon the return of the Starscourge. The Oracle is responsible for awaking the Astrals so that they might test the strength of the True King. If he is considered worthy, he will receive their blessing and can call upon their might. The rites to awaken the Astrals weaken the Oracle and will eventually cost her life.
Ardyn grows bitter and ruthless. He begins a plot to seek revenge on the Crystal and the Lucis Caelum bloodline, amassing strength through the darkness. Unable to destroy the Crystal himself due to its divine light, he plans to assist the True King in obtaining the power of the Royal Arms, the Astrals, and the Crystal so that he may slay them all in one fell swoop, effectively defeating the prophecy.
Twelve statues are built in Lucis. Each of these statutes serve as a casket into which the souls of the dead kings come to reside. Within these caskets, the successive generations of kings await the emergence of the Chosen King. In addition, these statues have the role of protecting the Crown City as the Old Wall (Knights of the Round).
Approximately 2000 – 755 Years Ago
With the blight ended and the war over, three new other countries rise from the ashes: Tenebrae (led by the Oracle), an alliance of commercial free cities forming Accordo, and the empire of Niflheim, which aspires to recreate the ancient technology of Solheim (led by the Aldercapt family).
Main Events of the Modern Calendar Era (M.E.)
First year of the Modern Era (755 Years Ago)
The four nations of Lucis, Accordo, Tenebrae, and Niflheim agree on using the same calendar.
M.E. 358 (398 Years Ago)
Niflheim initiates its expansion policy, declaring war on neighboring countries to increase the empire’s territory.
M.E. 359 (397 Years Ago)
Niflheim conquers the land of Tenebrae, except the Fenestala Manor, home of Family Fleuret, from which all Oracles descend.
M.E. 501 (255 Years Ago)
The imperial army discovers daemons, mysterious creatures they treat as a new lifeform.
M.E. 606 (150 Years Ago)
Allied forces of Lucis and Accordo lose the war against the Niflheim army; Accordo is annexed by the empire. Using the power of the Ring and the Crystal, the King of Lucis raises a magic barrier protecting Insomnia for the first time. This leads to a temporary geopolitical status quo.
M.E. 722 (34 Years Ago)
Ardyn Izunia enters the Niflheim empire. He proposes the development of the Magitek Troopers.
M.E. 723 (33 Years Ago)
Niflheim starts mass-producing Magitek Troopers in preparation for the forthcoming all-out war against Lucis.
M.E. 725 (31 Years Ago)
[ 2/24 ~ 4/1 ] The war between Niflheim and Lucis begins.
Lucian King Mors (Noctis’s grandfather) – being pushed back and defeated by the imperial army, who introduced the Magitek Troopers to the battlefield – is forced to take action in light of the Empire’s troubling advance. He is able to resume resistance with renewed intensity by scaling back the Wall, which had enclosed the general Cavaugh region outside Insomnia, to just the city’s ramparts. Regis, who was prince at that time, was fighting on the front lines alongside Cid, Clarus, and Weskham, but withdrew because the Lucian army was defeated.
M.E. 729 (27 Years Ago)
Death of King Mors, the 112th king; coronation of King Regis, the 113th king (Noctis’s father).
M.E. 732 (24 Years Ago)
Lunafreya is born in Tenebrae. At the same time, Gentiana settles in with the Nox Flueret family.
King Regis marries Aulea, his childhood friend.
M.E. 736 (20 Years Ago)
[ 8/30 ] Birth of Noctis, son of Regis and Aulea.
M.E. 741 (15 Years Ago)
The Crystal “chooses” Noctis as the one who will save the world. Regis is informed by the previous kings of Noctis’s destiny
King Regis founds the Kingsglaive, an elite guard corps that can use some of the King’s powers.
M.E. 744 (12 Years Ago)
Eight-year-old Prince Noctis is attacked by the daemon Marilith and is gravely injured. He is sent to Tenebrae to receive medical care, and spends a few weeks in the company of Lunafreya, the Oracle’s daughter.
During Noctis’s stay, the Fenestala Manor is attacked and conquered by the Niflheim empire. King Regis manages to save his son just in time, and brings him back to Lucis’s capital city: Insomnia. Oracle Sylva, Lunafreya’s mother, is killed during the attack.
M.E. 745 (11 Years Ago)
Shiva, one of the six Astrals, awakens in the Ghorovas Rift of the Vogliupe region, and attacks imperial territory. The imperial army fought back and killed Shiva. The imperials lost the majority of their forces, and so began developing Magitek Troopers that would specialize in opposing gods.
M.E. 748 (8 Years Ago)
Lunafreya becomes the new Oracle, the youngest in history at age 16. She is kept under the watchful eye of the empire.
M.E. 755-756 (1 Year Ago to the Present)
King Regis, who is growing old and whose powers are weakening, realizes that Lucis has no hope of winning the war. He accepts a ceasefire and agress to sign a peace treaty with the empire. Part of the treaty is the engagement of Lunafreya Nox Flueret and Noctis Lucis Caelum. Shortly before the ceasefire signing, Noctis departs from the Crown City, Insomnia, along with Gladiolus, Ignis and Prompto, and heads for Altissia in preparation for the wedding. Regis’s intention is to allow Noctis to escape from the country. Regis, who recognizes that the Empire’s intentions with the treaty are merely ostensible, secretly plans to counter them.
M.E. 756 (Present)
[ 5/16 ] The Niflheim army attacks Crown City Insomnia on the day of the peace treaty signing ceremony. King Regis entrusts the Ring of the Lucii to Lunafreya, and is then killed by General Glauca.
[ 5/17 ] It is reported that the Crown City, Insomnia, has fallen. At the same time, the deaths of King Regis, Prince Noctis, and Lady Lunafreya are reported.
The Lands of Eos, Final Fantasy XV In-game Lore Guide
Our story takes place in the lands of Eos. At present, the world is divided between two warring states. Controlling a majority of the world’s lands is the military mighty Niflheim, an aggressively expanding imperial war machine. The Kingdom of Lucis continues to resist the empire’s advance with magic. The Crown City of Insomnia stands proud as the kingdom’s last bastion, but the empire has already made inroads on the outlying territories, including the primary regions of Leide, Duscae and Cleigne.
The Six and the Oracle, Final Fantasy XV In-game Lore Guide
Old tales tell of six gods who have stood watch over Eos since antiquity. It is said they now slumber, conserving their strength, waiting to awaken upon the coming of a plague known as the Starscourge. She most pure of faith is the Oracle, a daughter in the line of those said to commune with the Six. Blessed by the astral gods, she calls forth the power of Eos to heal those who are suffering and afflicted. Her devotion to helping all those in need has inspired reverence for her among people from all over the world.
The Magic of the Lucii, Final Fantasy XV In-game Lore Guide
The Crystal is the divine cornerstone of the Kingdom of Lucis. The Stone has a will of its own, and channels its sacred power through the Ring of the Lucii to the monarch who bears it. Monarchs in the line of Lucis have the innate ability to conjure magical weapons. A handful of close attendants are also afforded access to the selfsame power. The magical barrier known as the Wall has long kept the empire at bay, and thereby maintained the peace, yet not entirely without struggle. Sustaining the Wall imposes an immense physical burden upon the king, but to let it fall for even a moment would be to invite total annihilation.
Daemons and Night, Final Fantasy XV In-game Lore Guide
Eos is plagued by hordes of daemons, vicious nocturnal creatures of various forms that strike fear into the hearts of even the most seasoned hunters. Daemons are denizens of the light, and the more predatory among them are drawn to the roads after dark. People now dread the setting of the sun for fear of what monsters might be lurking in the shadows. In recent years, the daemons have grown in number while the nights have grown longer. The correlation between the two phenomena is yet unproven, but scientists persist in their search for a link.
Luna, Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV
“He who wears the ring communes with the Lucii and commands great power… A forbidden one. Sealed within the ring, long ago.”
Young Luna, Chapter 5, Final Fantasy XV
“The kings of Lucis do not simply use the Crystal, they also protect it.”
Ardyn, Chapter 13, Final Fantasy XV
“Unharmed by the Light. The Chosen King, indeed. Allow me to regale you with a tale. In an age long past, an incurable scourge ravaged mankind. A tiny menace that twisted men into monsters, the likes of which you’ve seen. In Lucis lived a savior who could cure the afflicted. His body would come to host myriad daemons, that countless lives be spared. But a jealous king, one not yet chosen by the Crystal, ostracized and demonized this healer of the people. Making a true monster of him. I gave you my name earlier, but you should know that it was not the name given to me at birth. Ardyn Lucis Caelum is my proper name. You’ll never guess whose name Izunia was. Noct, killing you as a mortal will bring me scant satisfaction. Claim the Crystal’s power. Arise as its champion. Only once the Crystal and King are no more… can I know redemption. Come back soon. I shall keep your friends company until you are ready.”
Bahamut, Chapter 13, Final Fantasy XV
“The fate of this world falls to the King of Kings, His Providence consecrated in the divine Light of the Crystal. So it is ordained – the revelation of Bahamut.”
> Ask about this place
“The heart of the Crystal, wherein lies the soul of the star, and it is in this place that the King will gain the power to fulfill his calling.”
> Ask about my friends
“They stand against the darkness and abide in hope, sustained by faith unfaltering that their King shall arise and bring deliverance.”
“By the covenants awakened, the Six have seen the coming of the prophesied hour – a time when the Crystal shall have shed the entirety of its Light unto the ring. Only then, once the sacred ring is replete, can the True King complete his ascension. And only by the True King’s hand can the immortal Accursed be banished and the Light restored to this world.”
> ”The Accursed”
“A man cursed with life eternal, whose immortality stems from the selfsame scourge that wrought the daemons. One so impure of body and soul was deemed unworthy of the Crystal’s Light, and forbidden to ascend. His mind twisted by spite and bent on revenge, the Usuper came to bring darkness down upon our world. Only the True King, chosen by the Crystal and guarded by his forebears, can end the Accursed’s madness.”
“It is the sole means to ending the immortal Accursed. A power greater than even that of the Six, purifying all by the Light of the Crystal and the glaives of rulers past. Only at the throne can the Chosen receive it, and only at the cost of a life: his own. The King of Kings shall be granted the power to banish the darkness, but the blood price must be paid. To cast out the Usurper and usher in dawn’s light will cost the life of the Chosen. Many sacrificed all for the King; so must the King sacrifice himself for all.”
“Now enter into Reflection, that the Light of Providence shine within.”
Talcott, Chapter 14, Final Fantasy XV
“The chancellor’s still around, though… in Insomnia. Nobody who saw him had any clue what he might have been up to, but their stories piqued Ignis’s curiosity. I ended up helping Ignis look into the matter – digging through old records, even joining him on trips to the royal tombs.”
“While we were poring over all those ancient texts, one name caught our eye: Ardyn’s. Apparently he was hailed as a savior, healing all those who were ravaged by daemons… only to end up branded a daemon himself – a dubious charge, I’d say. By all accounts, he was just as human as you and me.”
Ardyn, Chapter 14, Final Fantasy XV
“Ifrit, the Infernian. He doesn’t share the Glacian’s fondness for mankind.”
Ardyn, Chapter 14, Final Fantasy XV
“So you are the Chosen King… but you are a second choice, at best.”
The Hexatheon, Cosmogony
Titan, the Archaean, steadfast as stone.
Ramuh, the Fulgurian, sharp as lightning.
Shiva, the Glacian, gentle as snow.
Leviathan, the Hydraean, relentless as tides.
Bahamut, the Draconian, unbending as iron.
Ifrit, the Infernian, fickle as fire.
Since time immemorial, they have watched over Eos.
The Oracle, Cosmogony
In the distant past, Bahamut, the Draconian, descended to the mortal realm and graced the people of Tenebrae. From among them, he handpicked a pious maiden and bestowed upon her the power of the Stars and his trident. Using these gifts for the good of all, she became the first Oracle – she who joins heaven and earth.
The Hexatheon and Their Divine Host, Cosmogony
It is said that, in the beginning, the Six fought side by side with mankind. Even so, the deities themselves seldom appeared before mortals, and instead sent loyal servants to convey their divine will to the Oracle. These servants are known as the Messengers, and they number twenty-four.
The Covenant, Cosmogony
The earliest accounts of covenants are found in ancient tomes dating back to the time of the Cosmogony, some two millennia ago. According to such tomes, the rites are a means by which the Oracle summoned forth the gods, that she might make the will of mortals known unto the divine.
The Revelation, Cosmogony
Trials by which the Six grant their blessing are first mentioned in ancient tomes dating back to the time of the Cosmogony, some two millennia ago. Revelations left great devastation in their wake, with entire cities being laid to ruin, and people saw them as tests of their faith.
15:2, “Nadir”, Cosmogony
O’er rotted Soil, under the blighted Sky,
A dread Plague the Wicked has wrought
In the Light of the Gods, Sword-Sworn at his side,
‘Gainst the Dark the King’s Battle is fought
From the Heavens high, to the Blessed below,
Shines the Beam of a Peace long besought
“Long live thy Line and this Stone divine,
For the Night when All comes to Naught.”
The Crystal, Cosmogony
There once lived a man, born a mortal but blessed with powers divine. Conjuring a collection of glaives, he dispelled the darkness plaguing our star. As a reward for his efforts, the gods granted him a holy Stone – the Crystal, which he was to guard at all costs, for it would one day choose a King to see us through the coming disaster and lead us to salvation.
The Ring, Cosmogony
Before falling into eternal slumber, the Six bequeathed unto man one last treasure: a ring. Yet who among us was fit to possess this gift of the gods? After some time, the ring was transferred to the hands of a man blessed with powers divine, ultimately developing the mark identifying one fit to rule.
History of Eos, Final Fantasy XV Scenario Ultimania (translation by The Twilight Mexican)
Main Events of the Ancient Calendar Era (A.E.)
Ancient Times/Age of Myth
- The ancient civilization Solheim thrives
- Its prosperity as a technological civilization includes airships and Magitek Armor.
- The Six reside in the world
- The gods’ Great War of Old breaks out due to Ifrit’s betrayal
- Solheim is destroyed
- As those chosen by divinity, some humans with unique attributes (special abilities) hold political authority
- Along with political power, the “King” has such powers as being able to summon weapons, and the “Oracle” has powers such as the Covenant and healing.
- In addition, the Oracle possesses the ability to converse with the gods, establishing a dialogue between The Six and mortals.
Approximately 2000 years ago
- A plague spreads due to a parasite; the population drops sharply
- The Crystal and the Ring of the Lucii are brought from the gods, who went to sleep; the King at that time founds the Kingdom of Lucis
- The gods forge the Ring of the Lucii, give it to the King of Lucis along with the Crystal produced by the planet, and command the royal family to protect the Crystal.
- The Kingdom of Lucis constructs 12 humanoid statues
- The 12 statues were made as caskets into which the souls of the dead kings come to reside. Within these caskets, the successive generations of kings continued awaiting the emergence of the “King chosen by the Crystal.” In addition, these statues have the role of protecting the Crown City as the Old Wall (Knights of the Round).
- The plague is suppressed through the efforts of the Lucian king
Approximately 2000 years ago to 755 years ago
- The world stabilizes and several nations are founded
- In successive turn came Tenebrae, governed by the Fleuret Oracle family; the communal alliance of Accordo, with its parliamentary system and commercial prosperity; and the Niflheim Empire, where the Aldercapt family sought to reconstruct the ancient civilization.
Main Events of the Modern Calendar Era (M.E.)
First year of the Modern Era (755 years ago)
- The four nations of Lucis, Tenebrae, Accordo and Niflheim establish a common calendar
M.E. 358 (398 years ago)
- The Niflheim Empire initiates military aggressions
M.E. 359 (397 years ago)
- The Niflheim Empire conquers Tenebrae territory to within sight of Fenestala Manor, wherein reside the Fleuret family
M.E. 501 (255 years ago)
- The imperial army discovers daemons, mysterious creatures they treat as a new lifeform
M.E. 606 (150 years ago)
- The Niflheim Empire commences aggressions against both Lucis and Accordo
- The outcome of this war is that the allied forces of Lucis and Accordo are defeated. Lucis takes the measure of erecting a second Wall around the circumference of its Crown City, Insomnia. In addition, as the existence of the first Wall is generally a secret, the second Wall comes to be referred to simply as the Wall.
M.E. 722 (34 years ago)
- Ardyn Izunia enters the Niflheim Empire. He proposes the development of the Magitek Troopers
M.E. 723 (33 years ago)
- The Niflheim Empire begins mass producing Magitek Troopers
M.E. 725 (31 years ago)
- [2/22-4/1] The Kingdom of Lucis and the Niflheim Empire are at war
- Lucian King Morse (Noctis’s grandfather) — being pushed back and defeated by the imperial army, who introduced the Magitek Troopers to the battlefield — is forced to take action in light of the Empire’s troubling advance. He is able to resume resistance with renewed intensity by scaling back the Wall, which had enclosed the general Cavaugh region outside Insomnia, to just the city’s ramparts. Regis, who was prince at that time, was fighting on the front lines alongside Cid, Clarus, and Weskham, but withdrew because the Lucian army was defeated.
M.E. 729 (27 years ago)
- Morse, Lucis’s 112th king, dies. Regis, the 113th king, is coronated
M.E. 732 (24 years ago)
- Lunafreya is born in Tenebrae
- At the same time, Gentiana begins residing with the Fleuret family.
- Regis marries his childhood friend, Auraia
M.E. 736 (20 years ago)
- [8/30] Noctis is born in the Kingdom of Lucis
M.E. 741 (15 years ago)
- Regis is informed by the previous kings of Noctis’s destiny
- Regis establishes a personal defense squad, the Kingsglaive
M.E. 744 (12 years ago)
- Noctis is attacked by the daemon Marilith and receives a severe injury
- Fenestala Manor is set ablaze in an attack by the Niflheim Empire. The Oracle Sylva dies
- The Niflheim army attacked the palace, targeting Regis, who was staying in Tenebrae for the purpose of Noctis’s recovery. Amidst the tragic unfolding, Lunafreya’s mother, Sylva, lost her life. Moreover, this event was publicly treated as a simple accidental fire.
M.E. 745 (11 years ago)
- Shiva, the Glacian, awakens in the Ghorovas Rift of the Vogliupe region, and attacks imperial territory
- The imperial army fought back and killed Shiva. The imperials lost the majority of their forces, and so began developing Magitek Troopers that would specialize in opposing gods.
M.E. 748 (8 years ago)
- Lunafreya, who was under imperial surveillance, is inaugurated as the youngest Oracle in history (16 years old)
M.E. 755-756 (one year ago to the present)
- The Kingdom of Lucis and the Niflheim Empire agree to a peace treaty signing. Noctis and Lunafreya are announced as engaged
- Shortly before the ceasefire signing, Noctis departs from the Crown City, Insomnia, along with Gladiolus, Ignis and Prompto, and heads for Altissia in preparation for the wedding. Regis’s intention is for this to allow Noctis to escape from the country. Regis, who recognizes that the Empire’s intentions with the treaty are merely ostensible, secretly plans to counter them.
- [5/16] The Niflheim army attacks Crown City Insomnia on the day of the peace treaty signing ceremony
- Regis entrusts the Ring of the Lucii to Lunafreya, and is then killed by General Glauca.
- [5/17] It is reported that the Crown City, Insomnia, has fallen
- At the same time, the deaths of King Regis, Prince Noctis, and Lady Lunafreya are reported.