Tzarion, Death Knight, Lord of the Inverted Spire
“The Mourner could not hold me; what chance do you have?”
AC: 24 (Magical Plate, Magical Shield)
HIT POINTS: 250
ALIGNMENT: Lawful Evil
STR: 20 (+5)
DEX: 14 (+2)
CON: 20 (+5)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 16 (+3)
CHA: 18 (+4)
IMMUNITIES: Necrotic Dmg., Poison Dmg., Exhaustion, Frightened, Poisoned
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Tzarion has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
MARSHAL UNDEAD: Unless Tzarion is incapacitated, he and undead creatures with in 60 ft. of him have advantage against features that turn undead.
TZARION’S FAVOR: All allied creatures in combat gain a +4 to AC.
MULTIATTACK: Tzarion makes three attacks with his battleaxe, ANIMUS.
– ANIMUS: Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, Reach 5 ft., one target, Hit: 9 (1d8 + 5) slashing damage, plus 18 (4d8) necrotic damage.
SPELLCASTING: Tzarion has access to the following spells.
– 1st Level (4 slots): Command, Compelled Duel, Searing Smite
– 2nd Level (3 slots): Hold Person, Magic Weapon
– 3rd Level (3 slots): Dispel Magic, Elemental Weapon
– 4th Level (3 slots): Banishment, Staggering Smite
– 5th Level (2 slots): Destructive Wave (necrotic)
HELLFIRE ORB (1/day): Tzarion hurls a magical ball of fire that explodes at a point he can see within 120 ft. of him. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a DC 18 DEX saving throw. The sphere spreads around corners. A creature takes 35 (10d6) fire damage and 35 (10d6) necrotic damage, or half as much damage on a save.
LEGION OF THE DEAD: Holder of the Codex Mortis, Tzarion is never without his undead servants in battle. As a bonus action Tzarion may summon 2 Death Guard Skeletons (stat block attached).
PARRY: Tzarion adds 6 to his AC against one melee attack that would hit him. To do so, Tzarion must see the attacker and be wielding a melee weapon.
SENTIENT WEAPON: Tzarion’s battleaxe, Animus, has a mind of its own, literally, and has the following attributes:
– ARBITRARY ANIMOSITY: Animus is known for its hatred for all who live. However, who exactly it hates the most at any given moment is difficult to predict. At the beginning of combat randomly determine the target of Animus’ malice. Tzarion gains advantage on attacks against that target. However, Animus will impose disadvantage on attacks against other creatures if Tzarion did not strike the target of its hate last turn. If the target creature is incapacitated, immediately determine a new target.
– HUNGER: If Animus were known for anything other than its intense hatred against the living it would be for its hunger for souls. Whenever a creature is struck by Animus, they must make a DC 15 CON saving throw or have their hit point maximum reduced by the amount of damage dealt. This effect is reversed after a creature takes a long rest. If the creature’s hit point maximum is reduced to 0 in this way the creature dies and their soul is consumed by Animus.
IMPENDING DOOM: The mere presence of Tzarion is enough to make even the most seasoned adventurer become consumed by fear. At the end of a hero’s turn on round 1, all heroes must make a DC 18 CHA saving throw or become frightened of Tzarion. Heroes may make saving throws at the end of their turn. On a success, the effect ends.
LORD OF THE INVERTED SPIRE: Tzarion holds dominion over all that happens within the Inverted Spire. He controls its layout, its weaponry, even the location of those who walk its halls. At the end of a hero’s turn on round 2, if the combat takes place within the Inverted Spire, all heroes must make a DC 18 WIS saving throw or be teleported 20 ft. away from Tzarion. It would be unfortunate if the location a hero was teleported to happened to be a wall.
NOW THERE ARE TWO OF THEM: This is getting out of hand. If Tzarion drops to a third of his hit points he will use the Codex Mortis to summon its greatest servant, Lady Czorgan (S&F 258).
Death Guard Skeleton
AC: 18 (Breastplate, Tzarion’s Favor)
HIT POINTS: 50
SPEED: 30 ft.
STR: 14 (+2)
DEX: 14 (+2)
CON: 15 (+2)
INT: 6 (-2)
WIS: 8 (-1)
CHA: 5 (-3)
IMMUNITIES: Necrotic Dmg., Poison Dmg., Poisoned, Exhaustion
MULTIATTACK: The Death Guard Skeleton makes 2 attacks with its GREATSWORD.
– GREATSWORD: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, Reach 5 ft., one target, Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) slashing damage.